Wednesday 14 September 2011

Legos, Construction Paper and Architectural Modeling


I remember as a child playing with Legos, cardboard, and to explore my imagination. Through my research I was able to build planes, footballs, paper and other weapons. Also, I can create entire cities, robots, or something else that I could figure out of Lego. These toys are, I realize they were actually the tools I had the opportunity to explore the thoughts of the physical world through modeling.

My imagination was allowed to run wild like me, not knowing at the time, made decisions that directly affect the design of the models built by the raw materials.

To further prove my point, I remember the construction of a paper airplane that seemed to go anywhere when I tried to throw it away. So I decided to attach a clip on the plane before I decided to throw the next time to test my concept by adding more weight to the plane that would fly better and longer distances. The paper flies allowed me to model my design decision through the use of creating an artifact that I created a paper airplane that carried the extra weight by incorporating the trombone in the design .

Also, remember Legos to build all kinds of creations, and these creations have become the objects of my imagination. As increasingly define my Lego creations in the process of game that was able to create artifacts drawn from my imagination. These artifacts represent design decision I made in the evolution of my creation my child and through the design process.

In some form or fashion artifacts I created as a child, is very similar to artifacts I create when I model a concept of software architecture, software design in the process of decision making is directly translated into a concrete model as an architectural model.

Architectural models are defined by objects that describe the design decisions in architecture.

The act of creating architecture models is the act of architectural modeling. In addition, architectural modeling is the process of creating a physical model based on architectural concepts and document these design decisions.

In the process of model building is used as architectural modeling notation standard notation. This rating is the primary method of capturing the essence of design decisions on the architecture.

Modeling notations can vary based on need and purpose of a project, they usually go to a natural language based graphical notation.

Today, Unified Markup Language (UML) is the industry standard in terms of architecture modeling notation allows an architecture to be defined by a series of boxes, lines, arrows and other symbols that summarize the basis for design concepts virtual components, connectors, configurations and interfaces.

In addition, UML provides the ability to break down more models using natural language to explain each section of the model on the plains of Denmark.

An important factor in architectural modeling is to define what should be modeled. As a general rule, I tend to model architecture based on the complexity of the systems or subsystems architecture. Another key factor is the level of detail is really necessary for a model. For example, if I am modeling a system for a CEO to look after low-level details can be omitted. In comparison, if a system is modeled by another engineer for the effective implementation that includes all the information I could to help my design engineer.

1 comment: